Keenan Cornelius is one of the most exciting grapplers in the world today and is this video he teaches how to get a D’Arce Choke from an arm drag. There’s nothing fancy here just some nice detail on some of the key elements you need to get right if you want to really tighten up your D’Arce Choke submission.
The key points that Keenan Cornelius covers in this tutorial video are as follows:
- From an open guard use an arm drag to get offset to your opponent and expose there arm and side
- Ensure that you get the maximum depth with your choking arm by aiming to get the thumb inline with the spine
- Make sure that you drive the wrapping arm down onto the back of their head so that you can get the grip locked in tight
- When you lock the arms up use a squeeze similar to the Rear Naked Choke
- For extra pressure drive your partner onto their side and drive your chest through their tricep
- Optionally you can hook your partners legs with your own to block some of the defence and counter attack opportunities they may have
- You can use the expansion in your chest for additional pressure by taking a breath out and then breathing in to expand your chest
D’Arce choke submissions can be very effective for MMA and as the grip gives you tight control over your opponent you can also look to strike with your knees while it is locked up.