Learn how Alan Jouban used a fantastic spin and elbow strike from a loose collar tie to get the finish against Richard Walsh at UFC 184. In this video we analyse a smart piece of work that Alan Jouban used in order to set up his TKO finish of Richard Walsh, it begins with a ‘neck rip’ where the hand in the collar tie is used to start a rotational movement and then the momentum created from this is used to generate a hard elbow strike.
Here are the key points
- Get a simple collar tie in the clinch to initiate the move
- Reach across the neck and use a pull/rip motion to begin a spinning movement
- Drive the rotation by back stepping out with the leg on the same side as the collar tie
- Keep hold of the collar tie while you prepare to strike with the opposite elbow
- Use the rotation to generate momentum into the elbow strike
This move could be used in most striking sports that allow elbow strikes including MMA.